For families of children and young people with SEN and disabilities helpline 01273 772289

support from professionals

There are many local and national organisations that can offer information and support to parent carers. Some cater for certain disability groups; others are for anyone who may be caring for a child with special needs.

Support from Amaze

Amaze’s helpline is there to give advice and support to parent carers about any issues that affect them. We can send you our publications or offer you practical one-to-one support with education issues and claims for benefits like Disability Living Allowance. We also run courses and hold regular meetings for parents of teenagers. Or we may just be a listening ear in times of trouble. Find out more about  how Amaze can help.

survival.professional_suppoOther support for parent carers

Other important local sources of information and advice for parent carers are The Fed Centre for Independent Living and the council’s Family Information Service. Contact a Family is a national organisation which offers help for parents of disabled children. They produce information sheets on a variety of topics, a quarterly magazine and a directory with information about specific conditions. Visit the Contact a Family website.

If you have a child who is under five, many of the services you will need to use are located in your local Children’s Centre. These include health visitors, advice on child development, support for additional needs, speech and language therapists, family support, early education and childcare. There are six main Children’s Centres in Brighton and Hove: Conway Court in Hove, Moulsecoomb, North Portslade, Roundabout in Whitehawk and Tarner Children’s Centre at Ivory Place. Smaller gateway children’s centres also provide information and advice and have services visiting periodically. These smaller centres serve a local area and are based in schools, libraries or community venues.

Family Lives is a national charity that offers help and support to anyone caring for children. They have lots of information on their website, arranged according to your child’s age or around particular issues like bullying, work or relationships. Visit or call their parent line on 0808 800 2222, 7am to midnight.

At certain times, however, you may need more specific support.

Support for depression
Support with relationship difficulties
Bereavement support

sign up to our newsletter