For families of children and young people with SEN and disabilities helpline 01273 772289

jargon buster

Find explanations for the terminology and abbreviations commonly used by special needs professionals.

ABIAcquired Brain Injury
AcuteThe short term, crisis phase of an illness
ADD/ADHDAttention Deficit /Hyperactivity Disorder
AdvicesThe reports provided by professionals and parents as part of statutory assessment
ARAnnual Review. A yearly review of a statement of Special Educational Needs
ASC/ASDAutistic Spectrum Condition/Disorder
ASCSSAutistic Spectrum Condition Support Service
BESDBehavioural, emotional and social difficulties
CAClassroom Assistant or Carer’s Allowance
CAFCommon Assessment Framework. A way of assessing a child’s additional needs and planning help for them and their family
CAMHSChild and Adolescent Mental Health Service
CCGClinical Commissioning Group. Plans and funds health services (from April 2013)
ChronicPersisting for a long time
CMHWCommunity Mental Health and Wellbeing (Community CAMHS)
CoPCode of Practice. A guide that outlines how official bodies such as LAs should provide help or services, according to the law
ComplexMore than one significant problem
CongenitalPresent at birth
DDADisability Discrimination Act, replaced by the Equality Act 2010
DfEDepartment for Education
DiagnosisIdentification of a disease or condition
DLADisability Living Allowance
DWPDepartment for Work and Pensions
EAEquality Act
EALEnglish as an Additional Language
EBD/EBSDEmotional and behavioural (and social) difficulties
EHCPEducation, Health and Care Plan
EMASEthnic Minority Achievement Service
ENTEar, nose and throat
EPEducational Psychologist
EWOEducational Welfare Officer. Work with schools, children and parents on attendance problems
GDDGlobal Developmental Delay. Implies that the child has delays in all areas of development
HIHearing Impairment
IASSIndependent Advice and Support Service. Local authority service offering impartial advice and information to parents of children with SEND. Amaze is the IASS for Brighton & Hove
IEPIndividual Education Plan. A program of learning objectives and teaching strategies for children with special educational needs
INT/INAIndividual Needs Teacher and Individual Needs Assistant
ISIndependent Support. Advice and support service to help parent carers and young people help with EHC planning
LALocal authority
LACLooked After Child or Children. Term for children who are adopted or fostered
LD/LDDLearning difficulty or disability
LEALocal education authority
LGOLocal government organisation or ombudsman
LSALearning Support Assistant
MainstreamOrdinary state school
MLDModerate learning difficulties
MSIMulti Sensory Impairment
Multi-disciplinary /multi-agencyWhere all the professionals or organisations providing treatment or support come together to assess or discuss your child or your family situation
Needs assessmentSocial care assessment to decide on the extra help and support your child needs
NEETNot in Education, Employment or Training
Note in lieuNote in which the LA will explain why it has decided not to make a Statement. It outlines your child’s SEN, so that you and the school can ensure that they are met
OTOccupational Therapist
OutreachWhere a worker comes out to you and/or your child, rather than you having to go to them
PCTBrighton and & Hove Primary Care Trust. Plans and funds health services in the city. To be replaced by the Clinical Commissioning Group in April 2013
PDPhysical Difficulty
PercentileA score attained in a test that compares a child with its age group
PIPPersonal Independence Payment
PMLDProfound and Multiple Learning Difficulties
PPSParent Partnership Service. Amaze is Brighton & Hove’s PPS
ProgressiveA condition which will go through a series of stages as it develops. Often suggests a condition will not improve
Provision mapA document that provides an ‘at a glance’ way of showing the provision a school makes for children with special and other additional needs
PRUPupil Referral Unit. A centre maintained by the Local Authority for children who can’t attend a mainstream or special school
PSPPastoral Support Plan
RespiteShort-term breaks for parents or carers
SEMHSocial, Emotional and Mental Health
SEN SupportWhere the school or early years setting has identified that a child has SEN and needs additional support
SENCOSpecial Educational Needs Co-ordinator. The member of staff in a mainstream school who is responsible for special educational needs within the school
SENDSpecial educational needs and disabilities
SENDISTSpecial Educational Needs Disability Tribunal. An independent body that hears parents’ appeals against LEA decisions on statutory assessments and statements and parents’ claims of unlawful disability discrimination
Short breaksBreaks for carers, sometimes called respite
SLDSevere Learning Difficulties. Can sometimes refer to speech and language difficulties too
SLT/SALTSpeech and language therapy or therapist
SNSSensory Needs Service
Special schoolA school that makes specialist provision for pupils with special needs.
SpLDSpecific Learning Difficulty, for example dyslexia or dyspraxia
StatementA legally binding document that sets out a child’s special educational needs and all the extra help he or she should get
Statutory assessmentA detailed examination of a child’s special educational needs by the LA, which may lead to a statement
TATeaching Assistant
TPTransition Plan. A plan drawn up after the Year 9 annual review of a Statement, setting out the steps needed for the young person to move from school to adult life
VIVisual Impairment

sign up to our newsletter