For families of children and young people with SEN and disabilities helpline 01273 772289

one to one help

Amaze helpline advisers can give advice and information on education, health, social care and more, and sometimes we may be able to give more in depth advice and support too.

602173_77988074If you feel you are having trouble getting the help you need or having your voice heard in the process, our Information Advice and Support (IAS) Service can help. We can give you one to one support with things like seeking a formal diagnosis for your child, getting the right SEN support at school or asking social care for an assessment of need.

Support from the IAS service is not about taking over, but offers you a helping hand to work through things yourself. If you are in the process of getting an Education Health and Care Plan (including a transfer from a Statement of SEN) you can get one to one help with this from our Independent Support service during the assessment and plan writing process.

How can an IAS caseworker or volunteer help?

Our IAS service has caseworkers and volunteers. All of the IAS team have a DBS (formerly CRB) check, have completed training and get regular supervision. They can:

  • Explain the law and local procedures so you know what to expect to happen and notice when it doesn’t
  • Support you in getting your views across clearly
  • Help with writing letters and filling in forms
  • Talk through reports with you to be sure you understand them
  • Help you think about what to look for when you visit schools
  • Help you work in partnership with your child’s school/pre-school/FE college
  • Help you prepare for meetings and appointments
  • Help you work out how to resolve disagreements or complaints

How do I ask for one to one help from the IAS Service?

Call the Helpline on 01273 772289. Explain what you need. The adviser will work with you to decide how we can help. If it is agreed that one to one help is the next step, we will match you with a worker or volunteer who will contact you to take things forward.

What if I’m not happy with my IAS caseworker or volunteer?

Contact the Services Director via the Helpline 01273 772289 and we will try to resolve the problem. Visit the contact us page and fill in our feedback form. You may also want to read our complaints procedure and policy.

How the IAS service works with schools and other services

Amaze aims to help parents and young people work in partnership with the people and services that are involved with them. We believe that it is only when young people, parents and professionals work together that the best can be achieved for each child. We value the good relationships Amaze has with local authority, health services and educational settings such as schools and colleges. We think this helps us to help parents and young people.

Brighton & Hove Children’s Services funds Amaze to provide the Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) for the city, as defined in the SEND Code of Practice.

Amaze aims to support schools and others in working positively with parents. We also provide workshops and training around working with parents. Please contact us to discuss this area of our work.

Sometimes parents or young people will ask their IAS worker to come with them to meetings. We always ask parents and young people to tell the person they are meeting if someone from Amaze will be with them. Professionals are welcome to contact us if they want to check the identity of an Amaze worker or volunteer, or to raise any queries or concerns about the IASS.

Can services and professionals refer a parent to Amaze?

sign up to our newsletter