For families of children and young people with SEN and disabilities helpline 01273 772289

one to one help

If you live in Brighton and Hove or East Sussex, you can use our SENDIASS helpline and you may be able to get more in depth advice and support too.

602173_77988074If you feel you are having trouble getting the help you need or having your voice heard in the process, our  SEND Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) can help. We can give you one to one advice about things like seeking a formal diagnosis for your child, getting the right SEN support at school or asking social care for an assessment of need.

Support from the SENDIASS service is not about taking over, but offers you a helping hand to work through things yourself. If you are in the process of getting an Education Health and Care Plan (including a transfer from a Statement of SEN) you can get one to one help with this from our Independent Support service during the assessment and plan writing process.

How can a SENDIASS adviser or volunteer help?

Our SENDIASS service can:

  • Explain the law and local procedures so you know what to expect to happen and notice when it doesn’t
  • Support you in getting your views across clearly
  • Help with writing letters and filling in forms
  • Talk through reports with you to be sure you understand them
  • Help you think about what to look for when you visit schools
  • Help you work in partnership with the professionals and services that support you or your child
  • Help you prepare for meetings and appointments
  • Help you work out how to resolve disagreements or complaints

How do I get one to one help from the SENDIASS Service?

Call the Helpline on 01273 772289 if you live in Brighton and Hove or East Sussex or your child goes to school there. Explain what you need. The adviser will work with you to decide how we can help. If it is agreed that one to one help is needed, a worker will contact you to take things forward.

What if I’m not happy with the SENDIASS service?

Contact the Services Director via the Helpline 01273 772289 and we will try to resolve the problem. Visit the contact us page and fill in our feedback form. You may also want to read our complaints procedure and policy.

How the SENDIASS service works with schools and other services

Amaze aims to help parents and young people work in partnership with the people and services that are involved with them. We believe that it is only when young people, parents and professionals work together that the best can be achieved for each child. We value the good relationships Amaze has with local authority, health services and educational settings such as schools and colleges. We think this helps us to help parents and young people.

Brighton & Hove City Council and East Sussex County Council fund Amaze to provide the SEND Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) for their areas, as defined in the SEND Code of Practice.


sign up to our newsletter