Our 'Looking After You' courses are all about giving you some space to unwind and learn how to cope with the stresses and strains of everyday life as a parent carer.
Looking After You is a course specifically for parent carers to help them think about how to manage their role and its particular demands. The course is practical and you get bite size ideas to take home and try.
The course covers resilient therapy, meditation and Pilates and we share our experiences together.
What do they cover?
This is a model that helps build up our resources and cultivate our strengths. It can help us think about what we need to manage well and what to do practically.
We learn basic Pilates to stretch out the body and relieve stress, aches and pains and to connect with ourselves and how we feel.
We learn basic breathing exercises to use in everyday life, simple short and do-able anywhere. We also discover ways to relax and recover, calming the nervous system and resting.
The Looking After You course is run by two parent carers who have travelled the road themselves as well as being trained in counselling and Pilates.
Our Looking After You fact sheet gives tips and hints to help you look after yourself.
Here are two illustrated audio files that give you a taster of the kinds of relaxation techniques covered by the Looking After You course.
Further advice and support
- MIND is a great resource if you’re feeling down and want to get further information about depression/anxiety and what can help. Visit www.mind.org.uk
- Mindful Health offer low cost or free mindfulness courses for local parent carers with a referral from Seaside View. Email email@example.com or visit www.mindfulhealth.co.uk
- Brighton Buddhist Centre also run mindfulness courses or drop in workshops at their centre in Tichborne St, Brighton. Call 01273 772090 or visit www.brightonbuddhistcentre.co.uk
- Brighton Pilates Studio is a very welcoming studio with great teachers in Hove. See www.brightonpilatesstudio.com. Other studios include Purely Pilates (www.purelypilatesstudio.co.uk) and Ocean Wave (www.oceanwavepilates.co.uk)
- Evolution Arts runs yoga, Pilates and mindfulness courses as well as the Artist Way course. Suzi Daw and Tabbatha Tarran are teachers we know and love who teach relaxing yoga. Visit www.evolutionarts.org.uk.
- Five Ways to Wellbeing. Developed by the New Economics Foundation, there’s plenty of evidence that following these five steps can enhance wellbeing.
- Headspace is an app that offers simple guided meditations via your smartphone or tablet. Download it for free from Google Play or the App Store . Other similar apps include Buddhify, The Mindfulness App, Calm and Smiling Mind.